To understand the benefits of taking an MSM supplement it's important to look at what MSM is. In simple terms it is a natural organic sulfur that is recognized as the richest source of natural organic sulfur available. Why is that important, because sulfur, being the fourth most abundant mineral in all living things, is vital to the creation and maintenance of tissue. It is used by every cell in the human body and is essential to good health. MSM can be found in many foods such as milk, vegetables, eggs and meat but it is destroyed by heat from pasteurization or cooking. Also, because it breaks down easily, it is difficult to get all you need through diet which is why you should consider a supplement.
Having understood what it is, and where to get it, let's look at the benefits. Keep in mind that there still needs to be a lot more research done on this subject but what information is available would suggest the following:
1. MSM can contribute to softer skin, more tranquil hair and faster growing and stronger nails when combined with vitamin C and bioflavonoids.
2- Combine it with alkaline minerals and it will help with stomach functions and reduce gastrointestinal symptoms such as constipation, heartburn, ulcers and diarrhea.
3. It will help with skin disorders, reduce wrinkles, spots, lesions and skin tumors. It will also speed up healing of wounds, burns and other skin damage.
4. Muscles and joints heel quick and muscle cramps and spasms can be reduced.
5. It can give you relief from arthritis, tendonitis, carpal tunnel syndrome, bursitis and chronic fatigue.
6. MSM will reduce inflammation so infection disorders like arthritis, migraines and night leg cramps will be helped.
7. Using an MSM supplement can result in higher levels of alertness, increased energy, mental calmness and improved concentration.
8. Insulin sensitivity is improved.
9 – Many parasites can be kept in check.
10 – It functions as a detoxifying catalyst, an antioxidant and improves the immune functions.
11. It may give relief from certain allergies.
12 – It is necessary for the production of elastin, collagen and proteins.
In addition, MSM gets flushed out of our system very quickly, within twelve hours. Importantly, toxins in the body attach themselves to it and they get flushed out as well. Flushing toxins out of the body is an important contributor to overall good health.
Our body is continuously replacing old cells with new ones. In fact, every soft cell structure is replaced every twelve months, everything except bones and teeth. Since sulfur is involved in the makeup of cell walls, and MSM is a source of that sulfur, it stands to reason that it is an important contributor to healthy cells in the body. It contributes to making the cell walls more permeable to nutrients, allowing the cells to more easily absorb minerals and vitamins.
One final benefit is that there is little or no known negative side-effects from taking MSM and a huge list of benefits making the use of an MSM supplement a basic part of a healthy lifestyle. Of course, as usual, consult your health advisor before taking any supplement.